Monday 15 May 2017

Introduction



I am starting this blog as for 2 reasons, one is to have a record of what happened but mainly as a source for others that they may find useful.
Firstly a bit about myself. I am a Architectural technician living in London (UK) I started out working on cars with my late Father who was an engineer and garage owner, at the ripe old age of 53 he decided to build himself a race car out of a rusty old 69 Lancia Fulvia that a customer of his had brought in and it failed its MOT. After several months of late nights and lots of welding two things had happened, we had a race car and I had done very badly at school...
That year we raced all over the country and Father did rather well, and the bug bit!
the following season we brought a wreck of a Fairthorpe Electron Minor and proceeded to build that into something better suited to circuit racing, Again after much trial and error we ended up doing rather well and ended up with a FIA GTS car that we took all over Europe in 1989 and had a lot of fun.
By the mid 90's though Dad had run out of time and funds and stopped but I always promised myself I would build myself a race car.
I eventually left school with some rather disappointing results and ended up as a apprentice Welder/Fabricator which I did for 12 years, moving on to design work and then into my current occupation. 
after Dad passed away in 2014 I decided that life is too short and to get one with it and build me that race car!

So it was that I ended up in a Cambridgeshire barn dragging out the remains of a 1971 Heerey GTM 1-3, to give it its full title! Here is a brief history of GTM.
This then went straight into storage in deepest Essex as I had a house to extend/rebuild and no workshop.
1 year later and my house and workshop were ready and home it came, in the meantime I had been in contact with Derek Hambly who was starting up Hambly Sportscars and was offering to make replacement chassis for the GTM, mine was extremely rusty and beyond repair so I jumped at the chance, so while Derek constructs my new tub I have been collecting parts and refurbishing the body.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lining everything up

Well here it is! I got my tub delivered by Derek Hambly  at the beginning of the month, and what a fine job it is too. Made mostly from 20s...