Wednesday 17 May 2017

Getting started on the rear suspension

The original Cox GTM had 2 Mini front subframes bolted into the monocoque, one at the front had standard Mini components but the lower arms were lengthened to allow for the lack of an engine. At the rear the steering arms were locked off with a ball joint attached back to the subframe to stop the hub rotating, this was all very well in theory but in practice the steering arm would bend under load and the car would "rear steer" when you were pressing on in a corner, not very good!
Later when Howard Heerey took over the business he changed to a lower reverse wishbone (below)

The trouble is that the alignment bolts only "bear" on the hub so were prone to working loose and then you get rear steer, also the carrier is not really man enough so would bend.















I did not want this to happen on my racer for obvious reasons! I also wanted to keep the basic design.
what I came up with was a carrier that was thicker (10mm plate instead of 8mm) and that bolted through the 2 holes that hold on the brake back plates, Heerey also offered a fully adjustable racing version of the GTM called the "Club 90" with rose joints everywhere, as this was to be a road car as well I decided to keep the rubber bushes but make the inboard bush adjustable. Hopefully this should stop the rear steer.

                  
The original set up, adopted again later in the 80's                     My solution 

                                              
I have now built up 2 carriers and wishbones and mocked them up on the subframe
I also used the heavy duty tie rods from Minispares, that way I have good adjustment in 2 directions.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lining everything up

Well here it is! I got my tub delivered by Derek Hambly  at the beginning of the month, and what a fine job it is too. Made mostly from 20s...